Heart Healthy Enchilada Pie
- 1 lb ground chicken (or turkey)
- 1 tablespoon low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 can tomato sauce (no added salt)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 whole wheat flour tortillas (8 oz)
- 1 1/2 oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and
onion to pan and cook 6 minutes, stirring to crumble.
3. Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté
for 1 minute. Sprinkle with flour and cook 30 seconds, stirring
constantly. Add broth, taco seasoning, and tomato sauce to pan and bring
to a boil - cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1 1/2 cups
tomato mixture to chicken mixture. Reserve 1/2 cup tomato sauce.
4. Place 1 tortilla in a 9-inch pie plate. Top with 1 cup chicken mixture.
Repeat layers, ending with tortilla. Spread reserved tomato mixture over
tortilla. Top with cheese.
5. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until cheese melts. Cool slightly. Cut into 4 wedges.